Monday, August 29, 2016

Final Instrumentation (Effective Learning Teacher Survey for STEM-related Outputs)

The Effective Learning Teacher Survey (ELTS) was co-designed with C-PEER and doctoral candidates/researchers as a way to study comparative perspectives on teaching and learning in public schools. For STEM-related outputs, survey constructs were adapted from the Teaching and Learning International Survey, looking at STEM-foundational thinking and instructional activities through the lens of teachers. Researchers wanted to examine how STEM-foundational thinking is perceived and implemented in elementary schools and classrooms. Teacher survey questions were split into two survey blocks. Questions were randomized in order to improve the survey’s validity and reliability. The use of two survey blocks decreased the amount of time required by participants so that the survey could be completed 20 minutes or less. Each ELTS block (see Fig. 15) is approximately 40 questions. Survey questions related to STEM-foundational thinking utilized a five-point Likert Scale where 1 is “Almost Neve,” and 5 is “Almost Daily” (see Fig. 15). Teachers who took the survey were de-identified through the use of a participant constructed, confidential identification code, which allowed researchers to connect responses across schools without providing any identifiable personal information. Instructions for completion of the survey were accessed by the subjects at a specified URL. The results of the survey were compiled and analyzed by C-PEER.

These features of the ELTS need to be taken into account when interpreting the results. For example, while teacher responses offer insight to the culture of a building, they are still subjective data points akin to interviewing individual teachers. C-PEER and researchers took great care in designing this instrument in order to ensure that the data are reliable and valid across elementary schools.

Effective Learning Leader Survey


The Effective Learning Leader Survey (ELLS) was also co-designed with C-PEER and doctoral candidates/researchers as a way to better understand the role that participation in teacher leadership networks plays in supporting and retaining effective teachers in urban schools. Researchers wanted to understand how opportunities for collaboration and leadership (within and beyond the classroom) can increase teacher efficacy and effectiveness for STEM-foundational thinking, while improving the retention of highly effective teachers. The ELLS was designed to be completed in less than 20 minutes, and is approximately 30 questions (see Fig. 16). ELLS questions related to the STEM-foundational thinking and instructional activities utilized a four point Likert Scale, (1 is “Not at all true,” and 4 is “Very much like my school”), as well as a text response and multiple choice. The ELLS was also administered online using the Qualtrics Survey Software. Participants who took the survey were de-identified through the use of a participant constructed, confidential identification code, which allowed researchers to connect responses across schools without providing any identifiable personal information. Instructions for completion of the survey were accessed by the subjects at the provided URL. The results of the survey were compiled and analyzed by C-PEER.

Student Perception Survey


The Student Perception Survey (SPS) is designed to provide important feedback regarding teacher behaviors and the classroom environment. SPS results can point to strengths and opportunities for greater growth for teachers’ pedagogical practice. I focused primarily on how students perceived STEM-foundational instructional activities in the classroom. The survey (see Table 1) is comprised of 30 questions and can be administered in 45 minutes. According to the school district’s LEAP Handbook, “the SPS is administered once per year in the late fall to students in grades 3-12,” in order for administration and teachers to use results from the survey to make adjustments to instructional practices (LEAP, 2015). Responses are scored on a four point Likert Scale where 1 is “Never,” and 4 is “Always.” For this focus-study, the responses for items under the SPS construct of Facilitates Learning were analyzed. The results of the survey were compiled by the school district. Results for the participant schools provided by the district were analyzed for variance and correlation by C-PEER. The STEM-foundational thinking questions were derived a variety of sources (see Technical Report) (Seidel, et al. 2016).

LEAP Framework for Effective Teaching


Researchers specific to analyzing STEM-foundational thinking, examined results for teachers in participating schools on nine indicators on the framework for effective teaching (LEAP, 2015). From the Framework for Effective Teaching Observation Domain, these include: 
  • LE.1: Demonstrates knowledge of, interest in and respect for diverse students’’ communities and cultures in a manner that increases equity (Positive Classroom Culture and Climate).
  • LE.3: Implements high, clear expectations for students’ behavior and routines (Effective Classroom Management).
  • I.1: Clearly communicates the standards-based content-language objective(s) for the lesson, connecting to larger rationale(s) (Masterful Content Delivery).
  • I.2: Provides rigorous tasks that require critical thinking with appropriate digital and other supports to ensure students’ success (Masterful Content Delivery).
  • I.3: Intentionally uses instructional methods and pacing to teach the content-language objective(s) (Masterful Content Delivery).
  • I.4: Ensures all students’ active and appropriate use of academic language (Masterful Content Delivery).
  • I.5: Checks for understanding of content-language objective(s) (High-Impact Instructional Moves).
  • I.6: Provides differentiation that addresses students’ instructional needs and supports mastery of content-language objective(s) (High-Impact Instructional Moves).
  • I.7: Provides students with academically-focused descriptive feedback aligned to content-language objective(s) (High-Impact Instructional Moves
  • I.8: Promotes students’ communication and collaboration utilizing appropriate digital and other resources (High-Impact Instructional Moves
Teachers are evaluated on a four-point rubric, where 1 is “Not Meeting” and 4 is “Distinguished.” The results of these evaluations for teachers in the district were compiled by the district and analyzed for each participating school. Researchers analyzed school-by-school factor runs ANOVA scale checks and possible correlation.
Figure 15. Sample questions from teacher survey

Figure 16. Sample questions from leader survey
Q#
Item
SPS Category
1
My teacher listens to me.
Supports Students
2
My teacher helps me understand my mistakes so that I can do better next time.
Facilitates Learning
3
My teacher makes sure that the class rules are clear.
High Expectations of Students
4
My teacher makes learning interesting.
Facilitates Learning
5
In my teacher's class, I have to work hard.
High Expectations of Students
6
Q06: My teacher explains what we are learning and why.
Facilitates Learning
7
My teacher ignores me (reverse-coded).
Supports Students
8
My teacher wants me to think about things I learn and not just memorize them.
Facilitates Learning
9
My teacher encourages me to share my ideas.
Facilitates Learning
10
My teacher makes sure that we all treat each other with respect.
High Expectations of Students
11
My teacher helps me learn new things.
Facilitates Learning
12
My teacher uses examples in class that I understand.
Facilitates Learning
13
I like the way my teacher treats me.
Supports Students
14
In my teacher's class, we learn to correct our mistakes.
Facilitates Learning
15
My teacher hurts my feelings (not used in scoring).
Filtering Use Only (not used in scoring)
16
My teacher checks to make sure I understand.
Facilitates Learning
17
In my teacher's class, I have to think hard about the work I do.
High Expectations of Students
18
My teacher believes in me.
Supports Students
19
My teacher makes sure that students do what they're supposed to be doing.
High Expectations of Students
20
My teacher only accepts my best effort.
High Expectations of Students
21
My teacher is good at explaining things that are hard to understand.
Facilitates Learning
22
I get bored in my teacher’s class (not used in scoring).
Filtering Use Only (not used in scoring)
23
My teacher explains things in different ways.
Facilitates Learning
24
My teacher makes sure that students in this class behave well.
High Expectations of Students
25
In my teacher's class, I have to explain my answers.
Facilitates Learning
26
My teacher is nice to me when I need help.
Supports Students
27
My teacher makes sure I do my best in school.
High Expectations of Students
28
The rules in my teacher's class are fair.
Supports Students
29
My teacher knows when the class does not understand.
Facilitates Learning
30
My teacher cares about me.
Supports Students

Table 1. Questions from student perception survey with coding categories